LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:19 am 

Hello All,
Now opting to get a professional install. Mainly for the additional support and warranty. I believe I could do the fitting quite sufficiently. But what I's rather pay for it a system them works perfectly with no teething issues.

I keep thinking of chopping my car in for a diesel but if someone can offer a perfect setup.

Torodial tank in the boot (As large as possible)
LPG filler wither behind the number plate or even where you fill up petrol would be great
Need to pay with a credit card (as I have 0% Interest)

If conversion takes a few days it either needs to be completed on a weekend or if I can get courtesy car (Prefer not to take time off work and I work standard hours).

Car is

2002 Alfa 147 Twin Spark 1.6 120hp (Although its tweaked a little for around 138hp)
Standard MPI Bosch system with injectors on the inlets (Plastic)

Should be a straight forward install.
I'd only need a budget system ideally as the car is old but I plan on keeping it till the floor pan rusts through.

Please send me a message on here or

Need it doing ASAP.
Save me from chopping it in for a diesel.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:58 am 
Installer

To get a decent job done you will be looking at leaving your care somewhere for 3 days I would say. On a simple enough job like yours I would only have it for 3 days but some of the most fiddly conversions I might have for 2 weeks.

I will and have done conversion over the weekend with either a Friday, Saturday and Sunday or a Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I keep a lot of stock so I don't end up in the situation of not being able to complete a job due to a lack of parts.

Credit card payment are a bit of a pain for me as I do get hammered a bit on the rate as I don't do many card transactions. It am more than happy to take them but have to add the couple of % to cover the fees.

Price wise the sort of £750 you have been quoted there are a number of the eastern Europeans who will place some parts on and around your car in the day for that and at the end of the day it should at least run most of the time on LPG. Any installer who takes any pride in their work will want the car for longer and be using some better quality parts without cutting corners. There are numerous discussions on the forum on the for and against the "dun in a day" conversions. Its your money and your car to decide what you want to do to it.

For basic conversions I have dropped my price to £950 all in with UKLPG registration using either AEB or Europegas. You will find most installers here are charging around the £1000 for a 4 cylinder install.

I know I am a long way away but though I would reply as there have been no other replies

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:58 pm 

Understand - I am happy to pay for a decent job and pay more. I am avoiding anyone that tells me they can do it in a day. If that was the case I could do it myself in a weekend.

I'm happy to travel its just getting another form of transport while the car is in

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm 
Installer

I haven't replied because he has already been in touch !

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:37 am 

Hello Tubbs. Price is right. Just need to arrange transport of another car.
Since Enterprise are being stinkers (I've had a DD in the past - well 4 years ago. So hiring a car is now out of the question). I don't want to take 4 days off work

So I am trying to acquire a car for the time period.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:18 pm 
Advanced Member

Toby, can't you lend him the Beetle? I thought that was your courtesy car? Or has the missus pinched it permanently?

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 pm 
Installer

I had to get rid of it. Well passed it on to a family member for buttons.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:44 am 
Installer

Scotty seems to have beemed you up Tubbs :lol:

It makes sense that Scotty came to you, had he not said he was buying a kit from TT I hope you know I would have recommended you. Stern talking by myself or others, on UKLPG or other subjects, does not necessarily effect my general thoughts on people.

Simon
www.Lpgc.co.uk

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:32 am 

Indeed just need to get the car over to Toby now!

Out of interest if I bought a kit and decided maybe 3 years down the line that there would be the possibility of moving it to another vehicle?

(Probably be the same inline 4 petrol and even a twin spark at that).

I should imagine for a small fee it would be entirely possible

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:07 pm 
Advanced Member

It would be possible but there's just as much work, if not slightly more, to fit a secondhand system than to fit a brand new, straight out of the box, you know it's going to work first time, system. A lot of installers won't take it on because of warranty issues. If there's a problem with the system, who can say that it was bought on by transplanting a system from one home to another or by a fault that was about to happen anyway even if it hadn't been touched? Plus you've got to add in the labour costs to remove the system from the previous car. If doing it yourself, it works out cheaper but if paying someone to do it, then you might as well flog the old system to a DIYer and have a nice new one fitted.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:05 pm 

Worth noting I guess. It just saves moving items as the inlet and plenum could be swapped across.

Oki doki food for thought.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm 
Advanced Member

True, but all that's going to save is the time it would have taken to take them off and drill them. That may be a big job so would give a worthwhile time saving but you've still got everything else to swap over, tank and filler to fit, new pipe to run front to back, new fixings for pipe, etc. Working with a secondhand wiring loom that's already been cut down compared with a nice new one is also going to be more difficult too.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:15 am 
Installer

I've got one customer on his third car on one kit now. But he always buys the same jeep so everything fits. He has had some bad luck with cars over the last few years. By the time we got into the possibility of no3. I actually went to view it and check out it wasn't a lemon like the last 2 ! First one did the gearbox and rear diff. Second one failed the mot on a ton of welding and suspension components. Third cross fingers seems to be ok :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:01 pm 
Installer

Diff problems on Jeeps are a common problem, had a few with diff issues and seen a lot more... Never bothered fixing my latest one.

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:56 pm 
Advanced Member

A former neighbour of mine bought a caravan and wanted something to tow it with. I told him to buy a TD5 Discovery but he went and bought a diesel Jeep Cherokee instead. The first time he took the caravan away for a long weekend he came back with a noisy rear diff. Took it back to the dealers who asked him if he'd been towing with it. When he told them he had, their reply was that although they look like they are built to do it, they aren't really up to it. They took it back and he got a TD5 Discovery instead. That was about 7 years ago and he's still got the Disco having towed his caravan faultlessly all over Europe with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 am 

We've used Hilton Autogas http://www.hiltonautogas.com/ for several cars now and been very pleased with the end product. My V70 is now 80k miles on the lpg system they fitted (and service) for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:24 pm 
Installer

The key to a good and long legged LPG system is certainly quality install, quality components and of course Regular servicing !
Billy @ Hilton does all of the above. Mind you so do I. But I'm slightly cheaper :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:06 pm 

Not as cheap as me doing it myself ;-)

Finally got round to it mind.