LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:41 pm 

Hi, I've recently bought a 2000 subaru forester turbo and have already fallen in love with it. However it has somewhat of a drink problem. Therefore I'm thinking of getting it converted to lpg. That's where you lot come in. I'm a complete novice when it comes to lpg and will gratefully accept any advice. I had one quote so far and was told that they would use a zavoli system and flash lube for £1500 +vat. Anyone know if that's what I'm after? Or even if anyone has converted subaru (turbo) successfully before?
Ps - the car has done 105k miles and as robust as subarus are , is it a good idea to convert a car that has done this many miles?
Many thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Installer

Ive done plenty yes, there are some pics on my twitter feed. Good on gas them. Get it done. £1300 with electronic flashlube with me. All inclusive. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm 
Intermediate Member

I wouldn't worry about the mileage - I'm certain the LPG system will pay for itself in the remaining realistic lifetime of the car. I'd expect it to do the same sort of mileage again before serious problems arise.

What is important is how long you plan to keep it, as it's of no use to you if someone else gets the benefits of the system before it's paid for itself! Don't bank on any extra resale value, although it may make it easier to sell than an otherwise identical car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:11 pm 
Installer

Yep done loads of them and one of the best possible cars to convert. Most of them get better MPG on LPG than they do on petrol. Tank is a bit of a pain with the shallow wheel well.

LPG installer Anglesey North Wales

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 pm 
Installer

Ive got one out there that the chap swears blind it does 30 Mpg. Cant see it myself. Ive told him all the usual, fill up from the same pump etc etc. But he swears blind its doing 30's. He drives like a complete tool as well. He's a doctor. And has a hefty commute every day. Doesn't really care about economy so much, just cant believe his luck.
He also reckons the power curve is far better than on petrol after we did a bit of white knuckle tuning in the rain on a friday afternoon :lol: how was i expected to know he drove right up to the line in every gear in any situation.
Im not even joking, in town between the lights, no smooth gear changes, just 1st,2nd with the wheels lit up and hard on the brakes :lol: :lol: bet he gets through some tyres, disks and pads....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm 
Installer

I have had a few customers slightly scare me with a lack of driving abiliy.

I convered a mates STI and he found that it ran much better on gas and even the consumtion was better. Funny enough the other conversions I get the same comments on is the VW air cooled stuff. It must be a boxer engine thing. Does anyone want a boxer engined Porsche converting to prove my theroy on boxer engines?

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:15 pm 
Installer

Its a good theory, they do seem to be better on the mpg on gas it has to be said. I find the same thing.
I converted a boxer engine porsche on a mixer once, but that dont prove a fat lot :lol:
I have also had sone hair raising moments in the passenger seat with a laptop on my knee. You just think 'what the hell do you think you are doing' and ' ive got a wife and 4 kids to support' and hoping that you are walking away from the car instead of being cut out by the fire brigade....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 pm 

Thanks very much chaps, you've put my mind at rest. What sort of systems have you fitted to other forester turbos? As I said, the quote I was given was for a zavoli system. Are they any good? Is it a case of "you get what you pay for?" or does it differ from car to car?

Also, anyone know of an lpg engineer in Kent who knows what they're doing with conversions?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 pm 
Installer

Zavoli + Kent = Energy shift?

Zavoli is not a system I have ever used as to my way of thinking it has never been a great system. I've repaired a lot of them mostly failed vapouriser seals and packed in matrix injectors. They do no use Matrix much any more but have dropped back to Zavoli pan injectors. The pan work OK but that is all they are is just about OK in my opinion.

I've used OMVL, KME and Europegas and provided you fit the right combination of parts and install it right they run a treat.

The Forester either needs a little head work or a valve saver system fitting as part of the conversion.

As to installers in Kent all depends what kind of job you want doing. I've had a lot of customers come to me from your area as they have not been happy withe what the local installers had to offer.

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm 

Yep energy shift.
They recommended a zavoli sequential injection system and a 58 litre tank where the spare wheel sits.
On a side note, I've read that you can only fill the tank to 80% capacity, giving it about 46 litres. If that's the case then I hope your notion that the subaru gets better mpg on gas than petrol or I'll be getting to know my local gas station very well :-)

Ps - something I forgot to mention, it's an automatic. I guess that doesn't make any difference whatsoever?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:10 pm 
Installer

Bloody hell :lol: peter feacey. Havent heard of him for many a moon :D
Didn't know he was still going TBH. Im with classic swede on the Zavoli system personally. But hey thats just our view. You could travel to either of us and still get change from his quote i would wager.
£1800 all in. Hmm seems a bit steep for a 4 cylinder engine to me. Even with a multipoint Flashlube and UKLPGA certification. I know stuff is cheaper in the midlands and wales. But you could probably get a quote for a Prins or BRC system cheaper than that in your area. The fuel economy on either is'nt that hot though. However they are both robust systems.
Automatic doesn't make that much difference. But the mpg is a bit lower to start with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:36 pm 

Whoops sorry - I just double checked the quote and it's 1400 + vat.
I'd be happy to go with anything as long as it works well and gives me maximum mpg possible
What were the systems you both fitted to subaru turbos before? The idea of getting better mpg appeals.
I'd swear blind someone had hung a lead weight on the end of the needle!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm 
Installer

My preferance on these now is the Europegas system. Tank wise I'd opt for something a little bigger, from memory I las fitted 85ltr tank by lifting the floor level up just a little. When you only get 80% fill you need all in can get in one of those.

To get the best consumption it is just a case of setting the system up right and getting the mapping spot on.

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:55 pm 
Installer

I use emer with 2x 2 cylinder rails, its all nice and neat that way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm 
Installer

Yep needs to be 2 rails of 2 or otherwise seperate injectors. I mount my injecors at the side of the manifolds to keep them verical :wink:

DIY LPG Kits

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 pm 
Installer

Just hoik the change over temp up when you have to.... Seems to do the trick. They get bloody warm under the bonnet those scoobydoos :D