LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zafira VXR conversion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:41 am 

I'm just about to swap my current car (an lpg Audi S6 Avant) for something different. Originally I was considering a Jap import mpv (Nissan Elgrand or Toyota Alphard) but having seen shocking insurance quotes (and a few pretty shocking vehicles) I'm now seriously considering a Zafira VXR as it had all the space I need and still some decent performance.

I've read a few posts on here and I know that Vauxhall did 'factory' lpg on some Zafiras but obviously I'll need to get a VXR converted myself. I can't think of any obvious reason why it can't be done unless anyone can tell me differently. Also, I need to phone around a get a few quotes so is there anything particular I should be asking for? I know from experience with the Audi that you really do get what you pay for so I'm not interested in budget conversion, I want something that isn't just a load of problems that are waiting to happen and will keep the car off the road. I prefer someone who's maybe done one before rather than having my car as a guinea pig. I'm keen to understand the options regarding tank size and location as my biggest gripe with the Audi is that a smallish tank (54 litres of lpg) coupled with poor gas mileage, means that my lpg range is barely 200 miles - this means I normally fill up 4 times a week to do my normal mileage. I'd do-able, but a bit more range would be nice (no tank inside the car though!)

I'm based in Tamworth and am aware of converters in Ludlow, Coventry and Hylton that seem to have good recommendations, are there any others that might be worth contacting?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:18 pm 
Advanced Member

Not a recommendation but you might find this thread interesting viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10245

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:43 pm 
Installer

I hope I'm the one in Ludlow ! :lol: and yes I have done a few zafiras.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am 

Interesting thread that, it looks like the VXR engine should be suitable for conversion then. No mention of fitting flashlube and I don't know whether this is necessary or not?? For the additional cost, maybe it's better to just to fit it anyway and be safe rather than sorry.

I'm busy trying to source a suitable vehicle at the moment which means I want something with less than 50k miles, fsh and not covered in dings and scratches - I might be looking for a while!

Tubbs, I spoke to you when I was thinking about getting an Elgrand converted, as you've done a few Zafiras before I think I'll be giving you another call soon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:32 pm 
Installer

Oh yes, I remember. I had another elgrand enquiry just the other day. Don't see many.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm 

Hi the Z20LEH engine is fine with a LPG system
my friends one had 60k on lpg with out any problems at all
my car has the engine an box from the VXR in the Gsi