LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:23 pm 

Dear Forum,

I have a problem with a single point LPG system, on a BMW 523. I did take it to an lpg garage, but as the manifold was plastic, they refused to look at the engine whilst running (health and safety).

The car was running semi OK, however if when driving at speed, I would put my foot on the clutch, the car engine would simply cut out, which I would then manually jump start before hitting the roundabout etc.

The last time this happened, the car would not jump from LPG, and has since been a big issue. On petrol it runs fine, and for a while I couldnt even get it to run at all on LPG, however after some playing around today, I managed to get it to run on lpg but sounds very rough, and as soon as the foot is of the throttle, it will die.

There is a split in the rubber on the solenoid, I'm thinking of replacing this, as it looks like someone else has tried to do this, as the bolt has been badly curbed.

The car has backfired a few times, and it also looks like the air filter has come off its plastic connections, but as it runs OK on petrol, Im at a loss to where the issue could be.

Any suggestions, or anyone else around Epsom who may be able to look at it, as the car is too good to scrap, but cant drive it now as brought a new car and dont have insurance.

many thanks for any advice

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:15 pm 
Installer

Most likely it is/was off tune. That may or may not be within the range of adjustment, parts may be life-expired or bent/split due to backfires. Before doing anything, be sure that all non-gas air, vacuum and breather pipes are in good order.