LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am 

Hello everyone, I am new here and look forward to posting more in the future :)

I've spent an hour or so looking over threads about lpg installs for various cars and engines and found some interesting information.

For a little bit of background I currently drive a volvo s60 D5 which I am in the process of selling to buy either a 730d or 745i BMW, tho I intend to get the 745i if I can find one thats just right :)

Providing I get a 745i, I will be having it converted to LPG.

I live in south Cumbria and regularly drive to Newcastle, but most of the threads I've read recommend places down south.

Honestly, I don't mind driving 200 miles to get it done, or it taking a few days so long as I have other transport sorted. I was tempted by profess autogas's 1 day install but after reading on her I don't think I'll be going for that.

The engine is a 4.4 liter v8 producing i think it was 330BHP. I am looking for a kit that is capable of running happily in an engine like this, and wont throw a hissy fit if i put my foot down now and again, that said, for a real "sporty drive" I would like to opt to run the car on v-power / super unleaded.

I've seen a few places online (profess included) quoting prices between £1350 - £2100, but I do not really know what kind of system is most suitable for this kind of car etc.

In short I am asking for recommendations on where to get the car done to a high standard for a reasonable price, I don't mind traveling if needs be but unless collection/drop off or a courtesy car were available it would be awkward for me to go over 150 miles say.

Thanks in advance :)

Piers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:15 am 
Advanced Member

Piers1989 wrote:
The engine is a 4.4 liter v8 producing i think it was 330BHP. I am looking for a kit that is capable of running happily in an engine like this, and wont throw a hissy fit if i put my foot down now and again, that said, for a real "sporty drive" I would like to opt to run the car on v-power / super unleaded.
The engine is the same one as used in the L322 Range Rover and plenty of those have been converted with no adverse affects so isn't quite such a big job as you may expect. The advantage of super uneaded is the higher octane rating of around 97-99 RON. LPG has an octane rating of 113 RON so, providing you get the right kit installed properly, all you'll gain by running on petrol is a thinner wallet.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 am 

Gilbertd wrote:
Piers1989 wrote:
The engine is the same one as used in the L322 Range Rover and plenty of those have been converted with no adverse affects so isn't quite such a big job as you may expect. The advantage of super uneaded is the higher octane rating of around 97-99 RON. LPG has an octane rating of 113 RON so, providing you get the right kit installed properly, all you'll gain by running on petrol is a thinner wallet.

Oh awesome - did not know that about the engine, or the fuel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm 
Installer

Hi,

The engine in a BMW745 is not the same as that which went into the later RangeRovers. The engine in the car runs BMW's Valvetronic technology (controls air flow by adjusting a second set of cams for the inlet valves rather than via the throttle butterfly) and thus has no manifold vacuum except during and shortly after engine start or when a fault is detected - during which it switched back to converntional throttle air flow control.

The rest of the comments about super unleaded etc are true, except that the calorific value of LPG is lower than petrol and the lower calorific value more than offsets the better octane of LPG. I wouldn't recommend having the car switch back to petrol just because you put your foot down but could set up the system so that it did switch back - or run on any combination of petrol and LPG - if you so wished.

Most installers get the install of the Valvetronic engines wrong and the owners of such vehicles then have to put up with engine warning light and limp home mode issues.

I am in Yorkshire between your home and Newcastle, have converted many BMW745 and other Valvetronic models before and could do an excellent install on your model - that would run totally on LPG, the high power of the engine not a problem.

I wouldn't go for a 'done in a day' conversion on any vehicle and particularly not a BMW745. I have repaired many of these done in a day conversions and am familiar with the standard of components, workmanship, setup and calibration.... I would take 3 days and you'd get a proper job!

If you need any advice or fancy a chat about an install, get in touch.

Regards,

Simon
LPGC - search Google
Yorkshire WF9, 8 miles from M62, 2 miles from A1, 10 miles from M1

2 miles A1, 8 miles M62,
http://www.Lpgc.co.uk
Twitter https://twitter.com/AutogasSimon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:43 am 

Picked the car up yesterday :D

Traded in my Volvo for my new 52 plate (2003) BMW 745i :)

It's a great car and after a week or 2 of driving to make sure she's not going to explode on me I'll be getting LPG installed.

I really don't mind where in the country I need to go so long as their is a courtesy car available if it's south of the midlands.

Thanks

Piers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:36 pm 
Installer

I'm ever so slightly south of the midlands, but I don't have a courtesy car I'm afraid. Sorry !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:19 pm 

Where abouts are you? I think I read on one of the other posts you said Shropshire but it might have been somebody else :P

I read alot of people recommending Dualtech and have emailed him and got a quote for £1400 and 3-4 days. I don't believe he has a courtesy car available (or at least its not been mentioned here or on the website), but I suppose I could get the train and "drive" (if you can call it that xD) my nan's 1.6 Proton GEN-2 for a few days. ^^

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:50 am 
Installer

Yes im in Shropshire. You could kind of call a proton 'driving' I suppose !
My courtesy car went like this... Bought a new shape beetle, gas converted, stickers on it. Looks really good, my wife drives it and I never see it again!