LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: lpg winter conditions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:16 pm 

I am thinking about getting an lpg system fitted to my 1992 volvo 240se petrol injection, just a couple of questions.
How did the hard winter of last year when it froze to minus 17 affect the lpg systems on cars, was it harder to start them on lpg or were they started on petrol then switched to lpg when the engine warmed up.
I've read rightly or wrongly that you have to flush your petrol injectors now and again to keep them clean if you are using lpg nearly all of the time, is this also correct.
thanks
billy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 pm 

Last year I was over in germany when we had Bad bad snow I was stuck in a airport for 3 days :lol:
the car was running fine on LPG I had some drive over to pick me up from germany using the lpg volvo T5
with out any problems at all
it dose a tank of petrol every 8 weeks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:47 pm 

Thanks very much you've been a great help, which petrol injector cleaner do you use.
billy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:17 am 

I drove mine all through winter and had it down to -12 without missing a single beat on either LPG or petrol.

Redex for petrol will work fine, doesn't really need to be anything fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:29 am 
Intermediate Member

First of all I'd better point out that this part of the forum is for people looking for an LPG installer, and your question may get more answers in the General section.

If you have a multipoint injection LPG system then it will start on petrol by default and switch to gas above a certain coolant temperature. This is to do with heavy ends in the gas being more likely to clog the injectors at low temperatures. A single point system is usually set to start on petrol and then switch to gas over a certain rpm, as they will work even on a cold engine, assuming there is coolant flow and the temperature of the coolant is above about -40°C.

Petrol injectors gumming up is only likely to be a problem if the petrol supply to them is disconnected to them when running on gas, as the petrol circulating through the injector rail cools the injectors. If not, the petrol in the rail would evaporate and leave a gummy residue behind. So long as you start on petrol, the petrol injectors will see some use and be 'flushed' through by the petrol. I wouldn't suggest that you need to use a specific injector cleaner any more than you deem necessary when running solely on petrol.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:03 pm 

injector cleaner nope I just run tesco 99Ron or V power ect ect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:01 pm 

I had no problems running The Old Girl on LPG last Winter despite it being just a simple open loop mixer system. However with the heavy snowfall and minimal road clearing locally I tended to fall back on the 4WD Toyota a lot of the time.