LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:26 am 
Intermediate Member

Just a tip, Make sure they have done a 3.3 grand voyager before. The petrol ECU's can be a bit dodgy and can fry themselves just for the fun of it.
The first you will know about it is the fan will keep running and the engine won't start. If an installer has done one of these vehicles before he may well be aware of this problem. If he is then he will mention it and advise you that if it should happen during the installation then the cost of a replacement ECU will be down to you.
If he doesn't know about it and it does happen, that is where it can get a bit messy and a good installer can become a bad installer overnight, and it is usually on here where that happens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:19 pm 

I need to call to DVLA to ask, what about doing LPG abroad, if its not a problem , perhaps I could travel abroad , I know 15 years experienced LPG installer in Poland...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 pm 
Advanced Member

As long as you have an installation certificate they can understand, it shouldn't be a problem where it is done. If having it done in Poland, take a UK filler with you so they can fit that otherwise you'll be messing around with adapters every time you need to fill up.

If you want to get Congestion Charge exemption it will need to be on the Powershift Register which means, your exact model of car, fitted with a specific kit by a specific installer.

'97 Range Rover 4.0SE, eGas multipoint, a project.....

Proud to be a member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH club.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 am 

Is that Congestion Charge exemption is for 10 pounds a year ?.As far as I know, there is no anymore congestion charge expemtion aprat of 10 pounds a year,( I am talking about new installations, not the one you have from 2009 I think).Am I wrong ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:06 pm 

As a newby I thought I might just say hello with a few obvs.
I used to install LPG some 30 years ago on USA cars. Mostly V8's natural assp with Impco eqpt.
Never had any problems and would have recomended it to anyone.
I have not found anyone doing installations of late that have a workshop that would be classed as "Clinical". Some look as though you have to drive through a car park of Stock cars. Bits of your car over the floor but that does not mean a bad job. The costliest does not mean the best job.
At the moment running two 3.3 Grand Voyager on LPG. One on KME system the other on Stag.
The KME gives milage close to petrol but the Stag is returning 5 miles LESS per gal and cannot be adjusted because the ECU just compensates.
I found this site because I was looking for info as I am about to install LPG on a 4 ltr V6 Dodge Grand Caravan and do not want to C@ck it up.
You pay the Congestion charge or you do not have to??
The £10 is the discount on Road tax because of Co2 Banding??
Cheers Chris.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:41 pm 

Yes, you are right, as far as I know, the 10 pounds is less for raod tax and not cogestion charge excemption anymore..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:47 pm 
Advanced Member

There's a £10 reduction on road tax if the car is registered after April 2001 so is on the banded system depending on emissions, if it was first registered prior to then it's on the flat rate system so there is no discount. LPG cars that are on the Powershift register get an exemption from congestion charge but no new vehicles may be registered for this since December 2010. So if you had a car registered with tfL as exempt before then, it is still free but no new regsitrations are being accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:26 pm 

Finally I have converted my car to LPG and seems everything works smoothly for now.The only think is bother e, that its only 58 litrs of LPG goes in 2 x 35 l tanks .I have read , that someone fill up to 74l LPG in the same model.How its possible ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:44 pm 
Intermediate Member

jivan wrote:
only 58 litrs of LPG goes in 2 x 35 l tanks .I have read , that someone fill up to 74l LPG in the same model.How its possible ?

That sounds about right, assuming filling stops at 80% capacity. If they've got 74 litres in, it's either a different tank(s) or the LPG pump isn't calibrated!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:35 pm 

I spoke with this guys who has this voyager, he admitted that LPG installer just bend something, ( which I assume is not legal, that's why he able to fill up to 70 litres LPG in the same tanks I have.But I won't be doing such a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:46 pm 
Advanced Member

It may be that he has bent the float arm that operates the fill valve so the tanks are filling fully and not leaving the 20% vapour space above the liquid. Could be highly damgerous, particularly in summer. Alternatively, he may have bent part of the car. I think the Voyager has a box section on the underside of the floor that the spare wheel would sit against. If this was bent flat it would give a bit more space so a larger tank could be fitted in the same hole.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:06 pm 
Installer

Sounds like he has bent the multivalve float arm. Even with the box section removed you arnet going to get that kind of capacity.