LPG Forum

All times are UTC

Post subject: astra 1.6 16v gas prob
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm 

hi im new to this site and was looking for some tech advice. i have a 2001 astra 1.6 16v factory duel fuel it has the egi system fitted. had the car for 6years never had a problem with it untill a couple of months ago when it started to jump on and off the gas. after some investigation found the head gask was on the way out and the lack of water going through the vap pump was causing the prob with the gas. now done the head gask but still having the same prob with the gas clicking on and off, though it will tick over on gas all day long but goes back to petrol if i rev it. the car had done 41000 when i brought it it is now on 79000 and to be honest ive never touched the gas side of it in 40000 miles never knew anything about the filters or anything like that. after reading a lot of messages on here from people with the system and symtoms as me started to check the pipe work for leaks or cracks but all seems fine, took the distributor off and had a look seemed ok with no gunge inside.if anybody could point me in the right direction what to do next would be much appreciated.also forgot to add that the vap pump used to get hot but now stays freezing cold even when the car is hot. thanks.Cam..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:31 pm 
Intermediate Member

You've spotted your problem.

The vaporiser needs the heat from the coolant to work.

There is a temperature sensor on the vaporiser, when warm enough, the LPG system will run, when it's not, the system will change back to petrol.

Either~

a The coolant plumbing to the vaporiser has been altered and is no longer flowing through it correctly.
b There is a blockage, probably caused by some leak stop stuff put in the coolant or an airlock.

The vaporiser may be piped in series with the heater matrix as well. However it is piped, ditch the coolant pipe connections and flush through the vaporiser etc. with a hose pipe.

Make sure you have the correct coolant mixture when re-assembling.

That vaporiser should be hot.

PJPJ

To help identify your Vauxhall LPG model, go HERE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:15 pm 

many thanks for getting back to me. was outside striping the vap off and yes there was no waterflow so took the pipe off r/h side of vap and blow down it it was clear as bubbles came up the header tank, so took l/h pipe off vap and tried to blow through it solid hey presto blocked hose. anyway cleared it now vap getting nice and hot and staying on the gas nicely although i have got a miss between tickover and 2500 rpm then clears after that, took it to a local lpg guy who told me he didnt have the lead or software for vauxhall cars and nobody in coventry did, i found this hard to believe. any ideas pj. many thanks. Cam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm 
Intermediate Member

It is likely you need to clean the distributer. I will PM you the instructions if you want to do this. How old are the spark plugs?

lpg-cars in coventry or MobileLPG, both on this forum, will fix it for you.

The lead and software are not necessary.

PJPJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 am 

thanks pj for the cleaning instructions will get a new seal kit and do that. put new plugs in last week, had a look at them yesterday and one side of the tip is clean and the other side is dark is that normal? never seen that before. can you tell me what the egr unit does cause if i unplug it nothing changes ?. many thanks Cam..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:16 pm 
Intermediate Member

I've never seen that on plugs but then, I've never looked at plugs after 1 week. It may well be normal.

EGR Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

There are lots of good web pages explaining about EGR's, here's one.

EGR

Just unplugging it will probably not make any noticeable difference on a good operational EGR valve. It only operates at certain times. Some have a vacuum connection, some don't. It will however illuminate the EML at some point during driving.

If you clamp each LPG gas feed pipe to each injector in turn, the one that does not alter the engine tone is the one that is causing the issue. Likely the distributor output but could be the injector. You can easily blow down each injector hose.

PJPJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

does seem to tickover on 4 cylinders ok its just that first throttle response between 1ooo and 2500 rpm ok on petrol thou. many thanks for your time and effort in helping me with these problems mucho appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 pm 
Intermediate Member

Are you sure it's a misfire and not gas or air restriction?

Have you a coilpack you can try?

PJPJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:52 pm 

its not like an electrical misfire more like a fuel issue because if i try and hold the revs on say 3000 rpm they go up and down without moving the throttle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:40 pm 
Intermediate Member

Is it maybe an air leak on the throttle body or a vacuum leak somewhere?

That's what would happen with an air leak.

PJPJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:10 pm 
Intermediate Member

Sorry I can't help directly, but in future if you post any problems in the 'Having Problems' section they stand more chance of getting seen. That said, pjpj has already seen this and given you lots of advice! Good luck with it.