LPG Forum

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:14 pm 
If you are-think again!! <BR>Mine was converted 14 months ago with 30,000 miles on the clock. <BR>After 6000 miles I had engine management light illuminated, followed by cold start problems. <BR>Diagnosis- valve seats retracted. Cure- new gas spec valve seats, valves, skimmed head - items which are put on factory fitted Focus and Transits supplied with Dual Fuel, as the original valve seats are apparently just about hard enough to cope with unleaded petrol-just . Total bill £1150.00 (Mates rates done by a neighbour, otherwise would have been £2500 from Ford)- so much for saving money!!. <BR>Unfortunately the LPG Assocition Approved Installer who did the conversation had no database of vehicles which should not be converted without modification, just said that yes, they had done these in the past. I found this info from another poor soul who had suffered the same fate. <BR>My advice would be to do your homework first, before converting!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:59 pm 
Intermediate Member

Yes it's well known that ford zetecs and LPG do not go together . <BR> <BR>It is also well known that if you do convert a zetec that your supposed to put a flash lube kit on it . <BR> <BR>all LPG installers should know this...the info has been common knowledge for a couple of years. ...if they don't know they ain't very good or are hiding the truth. <BR> <BR>all the best.mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm 
Thanks for that Mark, wish I'd known you earlier. <BR> <BR>Running ok now, done 15k miles since new seats, except that bad idling - hunting after deceleration to idle. Have changed Upstream Lambda sensor, and changing downstream this wekend, however fears / advice is that Cat could be destroyed- not good news, as this is import only from USA at £780.00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:50 pm 
Intermediate Member

look on ebay ...there are universal catalysts on there .. <BR> <BR>may require a bit of welding and maybe using flanges off your old cat. <BR> <BR>or <BR> <BR>smash the old ones innards out and the mot examiner wont know ...and emissions on LPG for mot are around 3 percent co ...so it will pass. <BR> <BR>all the best.mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 pm 
Intermediate Member

ps if you have two lambda set-up (lambda before and after cat ...you need some sort of gadget to fool the ecu that all is well, if you smash out internals of cat...these are available, not sure what they amount to ...may be as simple as a resistor,. <BR> <BR>all the best...mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:11 pm 
Yeah thanks for that, a Focus cat is similar but would need a modified exit pipe- can be obtained fron "Cats Direct" for about £100, who I've used before for my Merc C Class. I have contacted a guy who will weld a new/the original pipe onto the new cat. <BR>However, had the downstream Lambda changed this weekend. Although not absolutely disappeared, the problem has definately become less persistent. The constant hunting after pulling up to idle has now changed to only occasionally, and the "hunt" appears to be only one "dive" to almost a stall and then it levels off immediately at normal tickover. <BR>Thanks for your input

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:28 am 

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I'm finding a source which has some information about LPG price of Asia. Can you help me about it? <BR> <BR>Thanks for supporting. <BR>TriHuynh